On 24/04/2011 3:58 PM, John Celio wrote:
I shot a wedding in Yosemite National Park yesterday and my K-5
performed admirably. There were two problems I noticed that got on my
nerves and may have ruined some pictures.

1. The shot-to-preview time (how long it takes a photo to appear on the
screen after it is taken) is painfully long. Granted, these photos are
much larger than what I was used to with my K10D (which was pretty quick
with the previews), but I really wish Pentax could find some way to
speed things up for us chimpers. It is partly because of this delay that
my second complaint came about.

2. When shooting indoors with my 540FGZ attached, I had to keep a very
close eye on flash exposure in the preview images and constantly dial
back the flash output by at least one stop and up to two stops to
prevent massive highlight blowout. This bit me in the ass during the
cake cutting because I had to be fast, I had to be in close proximity to
the table & couple, the flash had somehow reset itself to normal output
and I couldn't wait for the camera to show me if I was getting the
proper exposure.

Now, maybe this can be chalked up to Pentax's flash system being
not-that-great, or maybe it's just my relative inexperience and lack of
foresight, but I wish I had just bumped the ISO way up and shot without
flash.

Yeah, I've noticed the K5 is slow to write files. I think to fix it, they are going to need to do what Canon has done and start putting dual processors in, one to work the files, one to work the camera. My friend's 7D, which at 18mp is slightly larger than the K5 is very fast, and I believe it has a dual processor.

Pentax flash control has always sucked, so I don't allow it to do anything, I still use a big old Metz 60 CT-2 autoflash, and it gives me stellar results, and is accurate enough that I just shoot, and don't chimp.

--

William Robb