Hi Christine
-
 I use
fill PTTL fill flash in my macro shots all the time - virtually every shot that
I work with is shot with flash. No problems once you know how to adjust the
flash etc. I shoot manually with the exposure usually set to the ambient meter
reading or to -1/2 stop. The amount of fill needed is relative to the primarily
light source. In direct full brutal sun I shoot with no exposure compensation
on the flash. On overcast cloudy days I may set the flash compensation to -3
and the compensation on the camera body to -2. In some situations I have to
resort to lowering the power on the flash by dropping the wide angle diffuser
or putting a diffuser on it. But those cases are very low light situations
where the subject is very close.
After
doing this for a while I now just know where to set things - just experiment a
bit. Digital makes the technical end of photography so easy.... I use the same
basic technique for macros, birds, and even outdoor portraits. For wildlife it
is split second decision making and having the flash compensation in the body
is a great asset. If you put the flash on a bracket or use a diffuser etc it
just equates to a certain number of stops of compensation, so you just consider
that in your mental calculations... Like "In this soft light I'd like to
have -4 stops of compensation but that diffuser is equivalent to -2 so I'll
just dial in -2."
I'm working
with the flash generally much closer than the minimum working distance - like
the subject is 12 to 24 inches away - so overexposure is always a problem. I've
used the same basic setup with the Pz-1p (usually with slide film), *ist-D,
K-10D, and now K7. Each camera had it's own quirks and I had to adjust the
exposure
compensation for each. I find that I dial in much more negative compensation
with
the K7 than I did with any of the other cameras.
Good
luck!
 MCC