On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 10:05 PM, Paul Stenquist
<pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:

> But gasoline is a necessity. When I need gasoline, I buy gasoline. When I
> need food, I buy food. Tracking the price of necessities accomplishes
> absolutely nothing, other than satisfying some compulsion to record numbers.

Increased fuel consumption was the only symptom of a cracked exhaust
manifold in my Civic del Sol.

But, more to the point, is everything you do essential? Of the things
that are not essential (say, taking pictures), should we characterize
that as a "compulsion"? Something pathological and deserving of
ridicule?