I bought both of my thread-mount  Leicas on ebay. No problem if you only deal
with people who have numerous sales and a 100% rating. If you buy a meterless
Leica, you can get a meter that attaches to the flash shoe or use a handheld
meter. A handheld incident meter is superior to most in-camera meters. The M4
is probably a good choice if price is important. It's also a nice camera. The
thread-mount Leicas, like the IIIf and IIIc, are nice as well and quite
affordable, but loading film is tricky until you get the hang of it.
Paul