Stan Halpin wrote:

>On Apr 21, 2012, at 2:53 PM, George Sinos wrote:
>
>> Isn't the K-5 almost two years old.  These days you need to cycle your
>> products faster than the old days.  If they start marketing like the
>> Number 1 camera company they will give it a new model number, put in a
>> couple of firmware upgrades and release a "new" camera every 18-24
>> months.
>>
>> Nobody wants to buy a camera that hasn't been "improved" in the last few
>> months.
>
>I always worry when I see anything advertised as "new and improved."
>I can't help but wonder why they didn't get it right the first time.
>And since they couldn't do it right the first time, why should I trust
>them this time? I appreciate technological advances being incorporated
>into new replacement products but I am skeptical of "improvements" to
>existing products.

The K20D was a new and improved K10D
The K7 was a new and improved K20D
The K5 was a new and improved K7

Don't expect it to stop any time soon.

I expect the K5 replacement will use the Sony 24MP sensor, which I
think is rather a shame (unless they keep the K5 in the line-up, like
Nikon is doing with the D700). I find a 16MP camera and a 24MP camera
are quite different animals - there's a place for the 24MP camera, no
doubt, and I find my 24MP Sony invaluable for some work, but a camera
in the 15-16MP range seems to be the sweet spot for most photography,
even allowing for generous cropping.

But that's the way "progress" goes...

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia