Lens makers used to give this number. My Zeiss lenses generally claimed to
be best at 5.6, and this is now my default setting even though I no longer
have any Zeiss lenses.

The theory was you set the lens on 5.6, or whatever, and used the hyperfocal
distance to get the sharpest photo with the most depth-of-field.

Some of the Pentax cameras had a setting which automatically set the lens at
its best aperture, which was coded into the chip, I suppose, when it might
have been cheaper just to paint that aperture mark a different colour.