From: Bruce Walker

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
From: Bruce Walker

Larry, be sure and check out http://fotodioxpro.com/ for info
too.

Good point, they've got more details there. ?It's weird that they
have separate speedrings for alienbees and for white lightnings,
and other companies don't.
Maybe they just wanted to reduce confusion by listing both even
though they are aliases for the same thing.
Are you sure about that? AlienBees and White LIGHTNING are manufactured by
the same company, but I
don't think they use the same speed-ring. Especially if you have older
models.
That's the thing John, I'm not sure about it at all--just postulating.
Paul C Huff's site describes backwards compatibility in their models,
but that doesn't necessarily mean forward compatibility too.

I guess we'll only know for sure if somebody who owns a bunch of Huff
flashes and 3rd-party modifiers speaks up. :-)

I've used both the White LIGHTNING & AlienBees in the past at school. We were required to have at least passing familiarity with all of the different brands the school had in inventory. It's been several years since I last had a chance to compare them one on one, but I think they took different speed-rings.

They both come with the same 7" reflector *now*, so they can't be that much different. Just searching the internet, I come across some sites that offer different speed-rings for AlienBees & Balcar/White LIGHTNING, and other sites that offer a single speed-ring AlienBees/Balcar/White LIGHTNING together.

I think there might have been an older version of the "new" White LIGHTNINGs that had a different speed-ring.

As the king of Siam said, "It is a puzzlement."

The original White LIGHTNINGs WL5K and WL10K - the ones that look like paint cans - won't take any kind of speed ring. You have to get a plastic cruciform do-hickey that fits into the umbrella mount hole that you can plug a soft box into.

And of course, my other set of mono-lights are Bowens 400b, which is another one it's almost impossible to find the correct speed-ring for. All I really know is it's not the same speed-ring the current Bowens Gemini lights use.