If I should tweet "I like cats!", I'm sure many cat haters would find that offensive. Thus are we reduced to the lowest thin skinned common denominator. It's rather extreme to elevate poor taste to the level of "hate speech".

British Police win the gold for stupidity.

From: John Francis

As it says at the bottom of the article you quoted, tweeting messages
considered menacing, offensive or indecent can lead to prosecution.

Even in the USA, where "freedom of speech" is often taken to be
synonymous with "freedom from any consequences of your speech" there is
an exception for 'hate speech'. There are also statutes against cyber
bullying in several jurisdictions.

Nothing is absolute. Just where the line is drawn between what is, and
what is not, acceptable behaviour varies considerably between countries.