On 28/10/2012 5:40 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

On Oct 28, 2012, at 4:18 PM, William Robb wrote:

You are still missing that what you are describing is camera shake, while what
an AA filter does is more akin to a very mild soft focus filter.

And the difference is that a soft focus filter works in two dimensions rather
than one?

A soft focus filter gives more of a guassian distribution to a point signal
rather than a linear one?

I see that the two would blur the signal differently, but I don't understand
why mechanical wouldn't work.

Try taking a picture at a shutter speed just below what you can handhold, and then take the same picture with the camera on a tripod but with a very mild diffuser on the lens and try to make them equally sharp. There is a reason why we try to keep cameras as steady as possible. IIRC, Falk over at Pentax forums discovered a minor flaw in the K7(?) where the camera shook very slightly all on it's own at certain speeds. I don't think the amount of blur was much more than a pixel or two, but it was noticeable, and it had a detrimental effect on sharpness in his opinion.

--

William Robb