I think you can still get a lot of different laptops & PCs with Windows
7 installed. I don't know how long that's going to hold ... maybe a good
long while if Windoze 8 turns out to be the real dud it looks like.

Subject: Re: PDML Digest, Vol 79, Issue 167
From: Tom C
From: John Celio <neo.venator.com+p...@gmail.com>
thoughts on a Mac.

You haven't even used Windows 8 but you're considering switching to an
entirely different computer system because of what other people have
written? Perhaps you should give it a try first before you make such a
big change.

Don't act so incredulous and like I'm an idiot. No I don't do anything
merely on what someone else has written.

If you're completely anti-8, just get whatever laptop you wanted, wipe
the hard drive, buy an OEM copy of Windows 7 and install it. You will
be happy with it for a very long time.

John

I can do that but I don't want to or think I should have to on a brand
new machine. If one's not in the PC building and maintenance business
and loads a new OS (let me see, I've done it likely only 4 times since
1995), it's potentially fraught with pitfalls and gotcha's. If I pay
$2K+ for a machine I want it to work correctly from the moment I turn
it on. :)

I work all day designing, developing, debugging, fixing software and
have for 32 years. It's not what I prefer to do in my spare time as
well. :)