On 07/03/2013 10:58 AM, Daniel J. Matyola wrote:
We were previously advised that "Home Premium" Windows 7 does not work
well in an office environment, and apparently is not fully compatible
with the network we are using.  In any event, both our consultant and
Dell are showing us only Windows 8 machines.

The "Home" versions of Windows don't like to be fully networked. They can be set up for file sharing easily enough, but that seems to be about it. If you want full networking, you need to go with the premium or pro editions. Apparently, Microsoft isn't making this easy, but if you go with Win8 Professional (whatever the top end version is), you can "downgrade" to Windows 7 if you have a legit copy that OS available on a disc. Unless you are well and truly into computer geekery, get the top end Win 8 OS, it should play nice on your network, and then put a classic shell on it.
http://www.classicshell.net

It works, and it takes all of the Windows 8 pain away, while at the same time leaving in some of the nice features that Windows 8 inherited from Window 7.

bill