On 16 April 2013 01:53, P. J. Alling <webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:
> People can complain about autofocusing all they want, but photographers made
> do without autofocusing cameras for years and still got good photographs.
> Even in fast action situations. My beef is with the metering system on the
> K20D. I often feel that my (gasp), more that 50 year old Spotmatic, and
> nearly as venerable MX, ME and LX cameras have more accurate, built in light
> meters. I understand that the K-5 series, (and K-X K-r, etc.), are much
> better in this regard, and everyone seems to think that Nikon and Canon do
> much better. The somewhat limited dynamic range on the K20D at higher ISOs
> really requires getting the exposure right, and just when I begin trusting
> the meter again it badly misses the exposure. Sometimes by by more that
> three or four stops.

I think the old chestnut about how "photographers made do without
autofocusing cameras for years and still got good photographs" is of
course true, but they made less, had lower expectations/demands upon
them and if truth be told I'm betting many "good photographs" from the
old MF only days wouldn't hold up to the scrutiny applied to modern
images. I know personally that the scope for concert and dance
photography has increased immensely due to recent technological
advances including AF.

The finder of the K5 is good when compared with its current peers
however when put up next to an LX with a good screen just looks sad by
comparison. Focusing medium speed wide angle lenses is an exercise in
frustration and using live view is possible but is a no more than a
slow clumsy workaround (much akin to the green button kludge for using
aperture ring lenses) when working on non-static subjects.

The K5 or even Kx provide so much more latitude in post processing
exposure manipulation than does the K20 it's stark, and the noise
characteristic of the K5 sensor is very non-intrusive, if you like the
grain of the K20 you can always add it in post :)

--
Rob Studdert (Digital  Image Studio)
Tel: +61-418-166-870 UTC +10 Hours