On Sat, Jun 08, 2013 at 06:39:32PM +0100, Bob W wrote:
> On 8 Jun 2013, at 17:50, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jun 08, 2013 at 11:06:41AM -0400, eactiv...@aol.com wrote:
> >> I object to the use of twat as a pejorative. Or,  at least, in mixed
> >> company.
> >
> > Yeah, don't be a dick.
> >

> Twat is a very mild word in British English, one that I would readily use in
> the presence of my mother when she was alive.

That depends, to a very great extent, on just where you grew up.

In the part of Kent where I got the majority of my education on
epithets, twat was, perhaps, not quite as strong an obscenity as
the other four-letter word for the same anatomical feature, but
it was close.  I probably wouldn't use it myself at any time
(and emphatically would never have done so in front of my mother).

Mind you, that was some years ago.  In those days, obscenities
were seldom heard, and even less frequently seen written down
(at least not until 1960, when Penguin Books tested the waters).

My wife, though, (a Nottingham girl) regards it much as you do.