On Tue, Jun 25, 2013, John Sessoms wrote:
> From: Aahz Maruch
>>
>>Before I can give you any advice, you need to provide some info about
>>what you want to use it for.  I got the G1X because I wanted a
>>point'n'shoot with good low-light performance -- nobody else makes one
>>with a zoom lens and sensor >=m4/3 (except the newly announced spendy
>>Leica).  I think it's a bit heavy for just carrying around; I prefer my
>>Nikon P7100 for that (which also has better macro and zoom).
>
> This is going to replace my current 10 year old, 2MP "keep a camera in
> the car all the time just in case a 747 lands on the highway in front of
> me and I don't have a DSLR handy" camera. I'll use it to take photos of
> rainbows & traffic accidents.

Then the lack of telephoto and macro are probably not problems (and the
latter is somewhat correctable with an accessory lens that I've purchased
and like -- just bulky/clumsy).  Just decide whether the low-light
capabilities of the G1X are what you want.  Otherwise another G model
would probably work fine (given that you require a viewfinder) or maybe
a used P7100 if you really do want telephoto.

> One of the attractions of this particular camera is buying from a local
> store where I know the people & they know me.

Makes sense.
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/