On Sat, Jul 27, 2013, John Francis wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 09:20:05AM -0700, Aahz Maruch wrote:
>>
>> You still haven't answered the implied question: are you being literal or
>> figurative?  The only way you could be literally accurate is if there is
>> something wrong, there's just no way for an upgraded Firefox to be a
>> hundred times slower otherwise.  (I don't care how old your computer is,
>> that's essentially irrelevant.)
>
> Unless, of course, you run out of physical memory, and start thrashing.
> Needing more memory than the machine currently has available can easily
> cause a particular program to run a hundred times slower.
>
> The older a machine is, the less memory is likely to have been configured
> on it (memory gets significantly cheaper every year).

All true, and I wrote something about that but decided to delete it.
>From my POV, that's still "something wrong", even if semi-expected under
certain circumstances.  Thing is, I loaded up five tabs in Firefox (each
a different site), and it's using <250MB.  I can't imagine someone
seriously into digital photography using a machine so underpowered that
thrashing would show up with that usage.  (Of course, I'm using Linux,
Firefox could be more of a memory hog under Windows.)
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/