On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 10:12 PM,  <kwal...@peoplepc.com> wrote:
> Hi  Ciprian
>
> I have a couple of comments that should improve this image -

    Comments are always welcomed, especially those critical, thus let's see...

> I'd crop out the blank sky as it doesn't add anything to the image.

    The initial image is an APS-C format (3:2 aspect ratio), which
I've already cropped to a 2:1 aspect ration while keeping the full
width.  Thus I was quite afraid of cutting even more of the sky.

> And
> while I wasn't there the red cast, especially in the sky doesn't seem real
> in this case.

    The issue is twofold: I'm using my uncalibrated laptop monitor
which is quite awful thus the colors could be off...  (Actually I'm
using a profile I've found on the net that matches the laptop and
display panel.)

    The more plausible cause could be that I've dialed `0.9` for the
tint value in white-balance, thus towards red.  I've done that because
the neutral value seemed to "greenish" to me.

    I'll try both suggestions and see what I get out.

> Other than the colors, I'm not sure what I should be looking at -  ie I
> don't see any compositional elements - line, shape, form etc

    Unfortunately I agree about the lack of composition in my picture.
 It's more a snapshot of the autumn colors while on the road, made
from the single vantage point I've had access to (although this
doesn't make a good excuse).

    (In fact since I've got the K-30 this spring I've been
photographing mostly city-scapes and mid-day landscapes, thus the
first change I got to catch something more colorful I was itching to
put it out.)

> Colors in my area - Michigan - are muted in comparison to previous years

    As both Bob and Jack observed, indeed the colors are quite muted
because of the haze.  That and the fact that the trees have just
started to change color.

    Thanks for the observations,
    Ciprian.