Coming _back down_ from the Bristlecones with a snowy and icy road and being in the passenger seat instead of being in control was one of the most nail biting driving experiences of my travels with Richard...
slightly uncomforatble indeed!

Both Lone Pine and Big Pine were fun little towns along 395.

ann

On 10/22/2013 09:32, Alunfoto - Jostein Øksne wrote:
Yes, I noticed the part about Tioga. I drew the conclusion that at such
altitudes, weather will fluctuate more dramatically, so it's harder to
predict how long the road stays open. I plan to do at least an attempt
at hwy 120. West of Tioga there's still the places where the Rim Fire
came close to the road, so I may get some interesting shots of the
aftermaths of destruction. If Tioga's closed, I'll double back and hope
for hwy 108 instead.

Jostein

-----Opprinnelig melding----- From: Jack Davis
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:39 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Gearing up for California

One of the passes least likely to be open is 10,000ft Tioga on Hwy 120.
It's the shortest route from Yosemite to Mono Lake, but a hairy steep
series of switchbacks at the top followed by a steep shelf road to the
bottom.
As you likely know, the Bristlecone pine forest is over 10,000ft. Not a
terrifying drive, but the last section near the top is slightly
uncomfortable.

Jack