Yes, I have. Other devices such as the Canon adapter to their propitiatory four or five pin connector might work, though I don't know if they still even make them. Then you'd have to cut the wire and solder a mini stereo plug onto it, which might not be possible if it's a nylon core wire. Those Canon adapters aren't cheep either.

At one point I even published some web pages about the project. They're no longer on the internet and I don't know where the pages are if I even saved them.