On Jun 17, 2014, at 08:46 , Richard Womer <rickpic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Taking the train last evening, I put on my (very good) Sennheiser
> noise-cancelling headphones, plugged them into my iPhone, and started
> Beethoven's Violin Concerto (sublime after a very stressful day).
>
> "Gee," I said to myself halfway through the first movement, "this
> sounds crappy".  I tried all of the equalization settings, and found
> "flat" was the best, but it still sounded crappy.
>
> Were my headphones giving out? I pulled out my MBP and played the same
> selection via iTunes--it sounded fantastic. It's the iPhone, not the
> headphones.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. Is the problem that the music player on the iPhone is crap? Is
> there a better one?
>
> 2. Is the problem that the music files are compressed almost beyond
> recognition getting transferred from the MBP to the iPhone? Is there
> any way to circumvent that?

Files transferred from iTunes to your phone aren't (or shouldn't be)
recompressed.  But check your settings!

With your phone connected to iTunes, click on the phone in the left sidebar so
you get the summary (phone, backups, options) in the big window on the right.

In the lowest "options" box, look for the checkbox titled: "Convert higher bit
rate songs to xxx AAC".

If that's checked... UN-check it.   Now the music sent to your phone will just
be a COPY of the file from your MBP, not a re-rip of same.

I find that the music output on my iPhone5 sounds just great to my 48-year-old
ears.

 -Charles

--
Charles Robinson - charl...@visi.com