Mystery solved!

Poking around in iTunes on the Mac, I found I had set the equalizer so that it
sounded good on trains, planes, and at home with the AC running.

After some research, I downloaded the EQ 10 app, and set its equalizer
similarly.

Zounds! Nice sounds, even here near the AC!

Thanks for your input, Charles and Godfrey. I really was helpful.

Rick

http://photo.net/photos/RickW