Igor PDML-StR wrote:

I know that several people on PDML have extensive expertise with LR.
So, I would like to ask a few questions about the information I cannot
find.

In the context of LR:
1. Is there any difference of how the editing information (and not just
the end result, but also the editing steps) and metadata are
handled between the following two scenrios of moving photo files:
a) within LR
b) within the OS, and then "reattaching" in LR via "locate photos"?

I find that it is less work for me to move the photos from within lightroom. If you are moving them on a directory level, you can get away with "find directory", sometimes.

There is a function that finds out what all the photos are missing are, but it doesn't locate them for you, it just gives you what is effectively a collection of all the photos where lightroom can't find the raw files.

I've seen recommendations for both scenarios, but more for (b),
especially in case of large quantities of files/folder. Those people
argue that
the moving using OS means is more efficient, while moving within LR is
prone to problems/interruptions (e.g. if LR encounters a problem alone
the way).
I haven't seen any authoritative information if there is any difference
between the two with respect to handling editing and metadata
information, especially if the information is not written back into the
file (or .xmp), but kept within the LR database.

I do recommend that you do a manual backup (i.e. copy the directory tree) of your lightroom catalogs before you start, that way if things go pear shaped, you can return to where you are.

I assume there shouldn't be any problem, but I am not 100% sure.

I am also curious if there is a difference in this behavior between
LR-3 and LR-5.

2. If I am merging catalogs and importing one into another, I understand
that I can check-mark the option to preserve duplicates as virtual copies.
My question is what happens in that case if I have Collections with the
same names? How is the clash resolved by LR?
Again, if there is a difference between LR3 and LR5, I'd like to know.

Does anybody know? Godfrey? Mark? Anybody else?
Thank you!

Igor

--
Larry Colen  l...@red4est.com (postbox on min4est)