> On Nov 10, 2015, at 7:26 AM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 9, 2015, at 8:08 AM, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>> I am uncertain at this point which of the folders in LR points to the actual
>> files, i.e., the files on the reformatted and renamed drive from which they
>> were imported. There are indications in favor of both.
>>
>> (1) There is a recent subfolder in one of them (My Book 2) that has two
>> images that also exist on the reformatted-renamed drive. The other folder
>> (My Book 1) does not have that subfolder. Another has 13 images, and the
>> same folder on the reformatted-renamed drive also has 13 images, while the
>> My Book1 folder in LR has only 6. This suggests My Book 2 points to the
>> database on the reformatted-renamed drive.
>>
>> (2) However, LR indicates different numbers of images in the two folders,
>> with My Book 2 having more than My Book 1. This discrepancy exists in
>> subfolders going back as far as 2010. I am not certain what to make of it.
>> On the one hand, I’m certain that I have not added any images to folders
>> that far back since the last use of My Book !, i.e., since the drive failed.
>> That seems to suggest that the My Book 1 folder points to the database on
>> the reformatted-renamed drive. On the other hand, neither have any images
>> been removed that far back, and that undermines the assumption that the My
>> Book 1 folder points to the images on the disk.
>>
>> If the database on the reformatted-renamed disk were an up-to-date copy of
>> the one on the drive that failed, this discrepancy should not exist. In
>> spite of it, I am inclined to go with (1). I know for a fact that there are
>> images on the drive that My Book 1 knows nothing about while My Book 2 does.
>
> Taking your advice about “asking first,” Godfrey, what do you think? Should I
> give the My Book 2 folder in LR a try, i.e., see if its the one that’s
> pointing to my database?

The catalog database points to the image files in the file system, not the
other way around. You open a catalog/database … from there you see what image
files it points to and what folder it records them as being contained in.

The specific layout of your system is hard to understand from the description
you provide. In (1), are you talking about what you see in Lightroom Folders
panel or what you see in the file system (be it Windows or OS X)?

Look into the folders that a specific catalog shows in Lightroom. Then look to
see what is on disk at that location by using the Show in Finder (or Show in
Windows File Manager or whatever they call it) command (a right-click on the
item you're looking at, either file or folder.) Once you see the data in the
file, you can backtrack from there to see which drive it's on. That should tell
you what data in the catalog you opened is up to date, or not. If the data
isn't real, LR should show you the dialog to locate a missing folder.

You can also select the folder or its containing folder in the Lightroom
Folders panel and right-click to use the Synchronize Folder command. This will
allow Lightroom to interrogate the folder and determine what if anything that
is in it is not in Lightroom, or needs to be removed from LR, etc. You use
these tools to determine whether you have all the current data and/or whether
what you have is up to date in the context of a given catalog.

Sorry if this doesn't answer your questions directly. Unraveling a slightly
mucked up Lightroom catalog database takes time and persistence. You need to
look at a lot of things, one at a time, to determine what the state of a
particular catalog is and what files it is looking at. Always look from catalog
to file system, and then the other way, to determine issues that need to be
fixed.