On 11/12/2015 5:38 PM, Malcolm Smith wrote:
John wrote:

Most bang for the buck I've seen in a meter, plus it's water resistant.

https://www.keh.com/284901/light-meters-sekonic-l-408-multimaster-ambi-
flash

Thanks John. I don't intend to go nuts with equipment and I'll start off
small. I'd not seen 'Light Science & Magic' but the 5th edition is on its
way to me now. Nothing I have goes into any real detail, and I'd like to
read the book before buying anything else. Having said that I have seen the
Sekonic L 408 light meter. My light meter comes from another age, certainly
film days and I suspect a while before Pentax introduced the K lens mount! I
know for certain that needs to be updated.

Malcolm

I used the L-408 as an example because it's the one I'm most familiar
with. I'm sure there are other meters just as good.

The thing about using an incident meter is it lets me expose for the
light falling on the subject, which generally gives me an image with the
light parts light, the dark parts dark and the mid-tones properly
exposed, without having to figure out where the in-camera meter is
getting it's information from and having to compensate if it's getting
its reading from the wrong place.