Just a little follow-up. I awoke this morning to find an email from
Nadia Reckmann (Marketing Jedi at Pixsy) that used my original subject
line from this thread. How did she get my email or become aware of
this thread?  I guess it should not surprise me that a company that
has algorithms designed to match images should also have the ability
to monitor when their company name is mentioned in email lists. (PDML
archives are on the web and sometimes show a new post/reply before it
has even been received by everyone on the list). So I'm guessing that
this thread came to their attention and she joined PDML to get access
to my email address (I don't believe it is viewable on the web
archives) and sent me the message directly, using my original Subject
Line as her Subject Line.

Anyway, here is the contents of her message which clarifies a few things...

"First of all, thanks for the kind words, Darren!

I just wanted to clarify our case resolution process a bit. In
addition to what you said, we have a great in-house Super Hero team of
licensing experts, who negotiate with an infringer to get the
photographer the best deal possible. We also have a global network of
law firms. So, if the infringer refuses to cooperate, we refer the
case to one of our international legal partners.

Our super heroes and lawyers work together to claim compensation on
your behalf. Its amount depends on a variety of factors, including the
case details, photographer’s licensing history, size of the
infringer’s company, the copyright modification, and so on. The final
photographers’ compensation often varies from $100 to several
thousand.

All our law firms are hand-picked, particularly specialized and
experienced in the copyright law. In our experience, they tend to take
the cases often refused by other lawyers.

It’s great to have you on board and feel free to contact me or our
founder Daniel (dan...@pixsy.com) directly if you have any questions!"

***end of email***

The only other piece of information that I have is that I've spoken to
one fellow who submitted a violation to Pixsy and received
compensation of a bit under $300. He said that the process took
approximately 3 months. I suppose much of that timeline is dependent
upon how quickly the infringer takes the matter seriously and perhaps
the amount that is being sought. Personally, I would rather wait
longer and get a higher return, if that is an option (and it is if you
have the infringer "dead to rights" and are prepared to take it to
court.

I'm still not sure that I believe in Pixsy's business model as the
best for the photographer. Image infringement is a whole different
ball game from image licensing. Catching a violator and then settling
with them for only what they might have licensed the image for in the
first place (or perhaps some multiple of that) is nowhere near the
amount of penalties that the infringer could be liable for should the
matter be taken to court. The only reason to settle is to avoid the
time and costs of doing just that (which neither party probably really
wants).

I think I will try to see how Pixsy's settlement process works for a
couple of my infringements (before deciding whether to have them
pursue the rest). I'm going to choose one infringement by a midwest
communication company (that owns a chain of radio stations and
newspapers) and another infringement that is on a web site in the
Netherlands (which Pixsy already claims to operate in). It may take a
while, but I will report back with the results. I hope that any other
PDMLers who pursue settlements will do the same and share their
experiences with Pixsy.