Thanks for the comment, Igor (and Alan, Dan, Rick, Ann, Gonz).

I wonder whether others might have had the same reaction if I'd posted
the B&W version first. I hadn't considered a monochrome version until
Larry suggested it.  I have to say it worked better than I thought it
would - but I still prefer the colour version slightly.

Cheers

Brian

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Brian Walters
Western Sydney Australia
http://lyons-ryan.org/southernlight/

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016, at 11:34 PM, Igor PDML-StR wrote:

> Brian,
>
> I like the B&W version much better.
>
> I hadn't seen the original thread until just now, while writing this
> message. So, I saw the B&W version first.
> I even thought that the "original" was actually a dirivative - colored
> with a "creative" filter, and went back to reread your message to verify
> that I understood it correctly.
> (I admit, it was before 8am, so, I was still waking up.)
>
> B&W is more interesting, more dramatic.
> I wanted to see it on a larger scale. So, I zoomed in using the browser.
> At that scale, the colored version is fine, and it can stand on its own.
> And it delivers a different mood.
> But I still prefer the B&W version.
>
> (And I just thought that the dramatism of the B&W version reminds me of
> one of the B&W storm images of Dan Matyola. [You know that guy, don't ya?
> ;-) ])
>
> Igor
>
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 1:57 AM, Brian Walters wrote:
>
> > Larry wondered:
> >
> > "I can't help but wonder what sort of tonality it would have in black
> > and white, it could be amazing, or it could suck."
> >
> > So I hit it with Silver Efex Pro 2 and here's what I got:
> >
> > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1370864/PESO/slides/_
> > IGP7858-K5-1b-bw.html
> >
> > And the original:
> >
> > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1370864/PESO/slides/_