Jostein, Mike and Bob:

In Russia, where the photo was taken, buckthron is cultivated in private gardens for the berries. I believe the peak of its popularity was in 1980s. The oil (aka "Oleum Hippophaes") and to some extent the juice are used for very broad medicinal purposes, primarily affecting epithelial tissues (cold, selected GI and GYN problems, skin, eyes, ...) so broad that one starts wondering if in part it is a placebo effect. :-)

But making that juice or oil takes quite some effort. And it has one of the most stable natural "dyes": it takes days to get that orange color
off your hands.

The berries are also used for liquors (I've seen only home-made ones) and jams. A few year ago, I bought a jar of Russian-made buckthorn jam at an international food store in the US.

Brian and Alan:

Yes, DOF is a good point.
I didn't have much time while taking the photo for stacking. But I should've thought about the DOF, as I had room to dial down the aperture (it was at f/5.6).

Thanks to all who looked and responded!

Cheers,

Igor