Not free but subsidised.  There's a government department called Housing NZ
which owns a lot of property, plus local city councils also make cheap flats
available.  But there's nowhere near enough and with house prices and rents
spiralling out of control a lot of people have been living in their cars.  The
government has been sitting on its hands.  The cynic in me would say a lot of
MPs have property investments.  There is no capital gains tax in NZ and it's
seen as easy money.

As for Wanaka, I don't know if they have any social housing.  It's a tourist
town which is known as a town of millionaires' holiday homes.  Not as bad as
Queenstown, the place of billionaires' holiday homes.  There was a story in the
papers recently about Queenstown airport running out of parking space for
private jets...

Cheers,
Dave