Dave, I have a done a few Blurb books, but nothing as advanced as Mark.

If you download the Blurb app for the Mac you can make your own page
layout templates and customize it a lot. I never used Blurb's supplied
templates except as a starting point. I created layouts with images
and text on each page, some with full bleed, some that crossed the
gutter, some with several images on a page. Easy-peasy. White
backgrounds, black backgrounds.

You can make a Blurb book from Lightroom but I believe you are
restricted pretty severely to their templates.

If you want full control you need to use Adobe inDesign or other more
advanced layout package.

I _highly_ disrecommend trying to use Word, even if it can be done.
That will take years off your life, if the Microsoft induced stress
doesn't just kill you outright.

When your book is ready to publish, go ahead and upload it to Blurb.
There's no cost. Subscribe to their mailing list and you'll get
discount offers several times per month. They have a constant stream
of discounts for publishers.

Also check into Lulu, a place I rediscovered lately. https://www.lulu.com/

--
-bmw