Part of the lack of real wide angle with APS-C is a matter of the lenses you had. Judging from spreadsheet the widest was the DA 20-40.

Now I'd prefer all Pentax lenses, but there are ultra wide angle lenses for APS-C from other manufactures. The Samyang 10mm f2.8 is ultrawide by any standard, sure it's manual focus but at 10mm DOF pretty much takes care of focusing even wide open, and there's the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 or the older version that's f4.0~5.6. All three have the reputation of being fine lenses. Then there's the venerable Pentax 12-24. Which isn't really ultrawide. It's not a huge selection, but there are pretty good options.

Now there are lots of reasons to prefer a K-1 the larger viewfinder is reason in itself, but I don't think there there's lens wider than 14mm for K mount that covers FF, and I'm pretty sure that the selection is just about as limited as for APS-C. You've got the Pentax branded Tamron design 15-30, a Sigma or two in that range, the old A 15mm f3.5, the Samyang 14mm there may be others but I can't think of them off the top of my head. They're not all that thick on the ground.