On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 9:11 PM, John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:

> I still have the MX I bought only a year later.
>
> I've often wondered why Pentax introduced two entirely new
> body ranges so close together - they must have had the M-series
> bodies well on the way to production by the time the KM/KX/K2
> were released.

The answer is Market Forces. If you will recall, everyone made big
body SLRs until Olympus shook up the world with the introduction of
the OM-1 system.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/om1/
The Pentax M series was clearly a response to that.

Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska
--
“The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness ”
― Yann Arthus-Bertrand, Earth from Above