I think the KM and KX cameras were pretty much seen as interim cameras, the KM is pretty much a next generation Spotmatic F with a different, actually simpler, as far as open aperture metering is concerned, to implement lens mount. I'm not sure that the KX is all that much different either, the meter is drop in module, (the Spotmatic F, KM, and K1000 can pretty much exchange flex boards with minor modifications and they all work.

It was one way to keep your SPF fully functioning if the meter somehow died, get a K1000 donor board.

I'll bet the shutters and most of the mechanical parts are also pretty much the same too for the original K1000 vs the SPF as well, except for the lens related parts of course.

Thinking about it I can see how the original push mechanism to stop down the lens could be almost directly used to push an armature that would move a lever up to allow the lens to stop down.