I've given this a bit more thought and it seems to me you go to the same place every time you go out to Hawaii. If that's true, might there be someplace out there where you could store a tripod between visits?

Alternatively, you might consider shipping the tripod to where-ever you are going to stay and have them hold it until you arrive; then shipping it back just before you leave for home.