From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Igor PDML-StR
Sent: Thursday, 1 February 2018 12:51 AM
To: PDML@pdml.net
Subject: Re: HELP! Advice on Lunar Eclipse Photography

Mark, for you, with the sunrise at 6:59am, it was probably bad.
But in Detroit, which is considerably west from you,  the sunrise was at 7:47am.
So, I'd say the partial eclipse (in "umbra") was probably still visible for
Ken. (Ken, how was it?)

In our neck of the woods, we had a very tight schedule:
                                                       Moon's
                                                 Azimuth   Altitude
                                      h  m            o        o
Moon enters umbra      2018 Jan 31  05:48.1       279.5     17.5
Moon enters totality   2018 Jan 31  06:51.4       286.5      4.8
Moonset                2018 Jan 31  07:19         289.8     ----
Sunrise: 7:17am

The totality was starting when the moon was rather low, and would be
obscured by the houses nearby.
So, last night I thought of the observation point that is on the
"hill" (it is very flat here, so, it is hard to find a real hill),
and on the eastern side of the major highway (which doesn't go "high" in
this area).
So, there was a clear view to the moon as the totality was starting.

The timing was perfect: we didn't have to wake up to early, just 10
minutes earlier than usually. We left from our house some 15 minutes prior
to the time we usually leave for the school bus. We saw the onset of the
totality, and then drove to the school.

It was a very good timing for us. The sky was a bit bright because of the
approaching sunrise, but overall, everything reasonably visible.
No need for early rising and no school classes missed.

Cheers,

Igor

  Mark Roberts Wed, 31 Jan 2018 05:36:56 -0800 wrote:

Igor PDML-StR wrote:

>Ken Waller Tue, 30 Jan 2018 10:49:12 -0800 wrote:
>
>Weather guy here in the Detroit area says it will be occurring around 8
AM
>which means brightening skis
>
>You can find your eclipse phases times, e.g. here:
>https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2018-january-31
>or here:
>http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/LunarEclipse.php
>
>Note the altitude. I've just realized that we'll need to get to a hill
>to see it...

Well, since it's winter we'll presumably be able to descend the hill
on our brightening skis.
;-)