Thanks Paul.

Visted the local camera store this afternoon and they =showed me a Sirui K-30X which looks to be very good. Unfortunately the store was a mess - they were getting ready to paint the walls and had pulled all the merchandise off wall displays and piled it up in the aisles. So they were only able to find the Sirui and a Manfrotto to show me, though more were out there somewhere...

I'm planning on  picking up the Sirui - checking the reviews it looks to be very good, and has their own safety lock system for AS plates, which addresses the one minor concern still on my mind. After trying it I realized that I don't need a lever control, the oversized knob works fine. Overall it looks like a good ball head at a decent price.

Mark