On 19/11/18, Daniel J. Matyola, discombobulated, unleashed:

>I visited London once in February, and was surprised how mild the weather
>.  There were quite a few flowers blooming in window boxes near Kew Gardens
>and around Greenwich.

Generally speaking we have mild, wet winters and mild, wet summers!

Haha, that said, as an island, we are heavily influenced by the Atlantic Ocean.
We have a warm water flow up from the Caribbean called the 'Atlantic Conveyor'
that means the water that reaches our western shores is not cold. This
generally keeps temps up. The northern jet stream borders the UK usually, with
cold Arctic air to the north of it and milder air to the south. A series of
Atlantic low pressure systems generally follows the jet stream and means we can
get mild and wet south-westerlies alternating with cold northerlies.

Sometimes the jet stream goes a bit north and we get the mild air for a while.
When the jet is south of us, we're all sitting in front of the fire :-)

Sometimes a big blocking high pressure develops over Scandinavia and keeps all
the lows at bay - at a cost: the wind swings in from the east and we are
blasted with Putin's best ice cold air. But that will move after a week or two
and we're back to westerlies again.

That's why we don't actually have a climate in the UK - we just have weather :-)

I could go on....

--

Cheers,
  Cotty