On 1/3/2019 01:43:12, Ralf R Radermacher wrote:
Am 02.01.19 um 16:39 schrieb Bruce Walker:
I think the secret to making sure it's a joy and not a duty is to
firmly resist the temptation to make photography a vocation.

In my book, this goes for turning any hobby into a profession. I've done so with audio engineering, many moons ago, and it took me almost 20 years afterwards to find some fun in doing audio as a hobby again.

Ralf

Photography was an avocation for me until I ran out of future prospects.

Fortunately, sometimes when one door closes another one opens.

I came home from Iraq to demob with no job in sight. My former employer had gone out of business, so they couldn't give me my job back. My skills in that field were years out of date anyway.

A nearby community college offered degrees in photography & I could afford tuition. With the eventual help from the GI Bill I managed to get an Associate Degree in Portrait Studio Management (aka professional wedding photographer).

But just as I was getting started in my new vocation, life closed the door on me again and once again I'm back to amateur status.

I'm still looking for that new door life was supposed to open for me. In the meantime I've got enough housework to keep me busy.