> On Oct 28, 2019, at 1:58 PM, Jos de Fotograaf <josdefotogr...@4prof.nl> wrote:
>
> Dear group,
> I need a new laptop and want one that is faster on Lightroom processing than
> my present HP pavilion with i7 and SSD
> I think of ordering several "mobile workstations" upto 2000euro and do a
> comparative test with them.
> Thinking of i7, 8th or 9th generation / 4 or 6 cores/16 or 32 GB/ 512 or 1000
> GB SSD
> I will keep the best and send the others back.
> But how to test?
> I was thinking:
>
> * measure time to import 20 K1 DNG files
> * or export 20 K1 DNG files to high quality JPEGs

I wonder if you good set up a standardized benchmark that you could
crowdsource. The best would be a set of files that could be downloaded and a
plug-in.

One of the things that I find takes the most time is when I run auto-tone on a
group of files, then do the first change to the exposure.  I am using smart
previews.

To me the ideal plug-in / script  would:

Make sure that it is in the specific test catalog
make sure the target directory is empty
possibly make sure the test catalog is empty

note start time
Import a standard set of files
note time
create smart previews
note time
auto tone
note time
Decrease highlights by one large click
note time
create 1:1 previews
note time
export full resolution jpegs
note time

A couple of things that would affect this:
The size of the catalog can dramatically affect import times as it checks for
existing photos
it’s not linear, possibly order n^2

--
Larry Colen