John, a few things to consider:

Since changing the app is easier than Windows, have you tried
downgrading to an earlier version of Photoshop?
Try adding more scratch space. You can configure multiple drives to
supply Ps swap.
Try playing with the GPU acceleration options. I'd first try disabling
it completely to see the effects.

BTW, it's working fine for me on a 5K iMac. Ps version 21.0.3.

Good luck!

--
-bmw