Hey, John; glad to hear you are making progress.

The GPU is used for a whole bunch of large and small things.
Particularly for me the GPU is used to render the brush tool cursor
when I choose Full Size Brush Tip and Show Crosshair in Brush Tip. I
use this for more accurate dodging and burning (skin retouching).
It's also used for smooth scrolling around the image when magnified.

If GPU disabled is no different for you from enabling GPU options then
I expect that your graphics card isn't well supported and you'd be
better off just disabling it. Your unusual VGA hookup could be
affecting this. GPUs may need a reasonably modern monitor with a
direct HDMI or USB-3 (USB-C) connection for proper functioning.

Cheers!

--
-bmw