On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 5:49 PM Christine Aguila <christ...@caguila.com> wrote:

> Quick question:
> I’d like to develop skills used to photograph the textile arts—which can
> often include fabrics with beads and metals and sequins etc.
> So, has anyone done this kind of work?  Any recommendations? Tips? Resources?
>
> Also, any tips for ways and stands for hanging the art so it can be
> photographed?
>
> I do have a photography background stand for background papers etc.  Has
> anyone used this stand to photograph art?
>
> Maybe two stands?  One to hold the rolled background paper, then another
> stand to hang the art from?  Something like that?  What do you think?

Christine, I have photographed painted art, but small enough works
that I could lay them on the floor and light and shoot down on them.

I do something like what you propose for portraits when I suspend
custom painted canvas fabric backdrops from a cross-bar. Usually I
hang the canvas by securing the short edge with many 4" plastic clamps
to the cross-arm (an IKEA curtain rod) which is then hoisted up into
the air with a C-stand boom arm. I use a Superclamp on the end of the
boom arm to hold the curtain rod.

This means I need to crop out the highest portion of the canvas though
to avoid seeing the clamps. That may not suit your purpose, of course.
But you could clone them out in Photoshop.

By the way, when you light your fabric I suggest that you use two
sources: one large soft light from behind the camera position for an
even overall fill; and the second source being a hard light raking
across the surface at a shallow angle in order to pick up the texture
in the fabric. Also to make the beads and metal bits shinier and
visible. You would need to play with the ratio of brightness of the
two sources to control how much texture and contrast you capture.

--
-bmw