Lens design has a lot to do with how bokeh is rendered. I've been shooting film almost exclusively this year, a lot with a Pentax 6x7 and 105mm f2.4. That lens  seems to have been designed to produce the most beautiful creamy bokeh possible. I also use a Ricoh Diacord TLR, a 6x6 TLR with a f3.5 Tessar design lens.  The results are incredibly sharp but you really can't get a smooth bokeh. Forms clump together and highlights in particular render as circles with almost crisp circumferences. Each lens has its own purpose. The Pentax lens lets you easily isolate a subject against a soft background, giving the nice 3d look. But the Diacord is almost magical in creating the appearance of infinite depth of field, even when only stopped down to f8 or even f5.6.

I think one issue is that there is no real agreement about what makes for a "good" bokeh. The lens in the Diacord seems to have pretty typical Tessar type characteristics, including the "clumpy" bokeh. But a lot of folks seem to like that - especially in the rendering of specular highlights.  Others look for a creamy bokeh with everything running together.

Mark