This is pretty  much what I’ve been doing, but I don’t like to assume that just
because something seems to work for me that it is the best way.

I have learned that stock focusing screens in 2020 don’t work nearly as well
for manual focus as focusing screens did 20-40 years ago.  Unfortunately, my
eyes also don’t work nearly as well for manual focusing as they did 20 years
ago.   There are times that manual focusing works better than automatic, such
as when a bird is hiding in branches. Unfortunately my 50-500 does not have
quickshift focusing and I need to change modes on both the camera body and the
lens in order for it to work.

I have also noticed that the K-1 is much better at focusing on what’s under the
focusing point than the K-3 which will pretty much focus on any sharp edge in
the same general zip code as what is under the focusing point.  My hope was
that maybe the AF-C would be better at detecting the person/bird/flower than
the microphone/tree branch/paneling on the wall on the other side of the room.

--
Larry Colen
l...@red4est.com

--