Hi, Cotty,

Yup.  AFAIK, it comes in several guises, either trying to get the customer
to buy a more expensive product - "for only a couple of dollars more, you
can get..." - or even worse, sell off an inferior product (often a house
brand) purportedly of equal or better quality - "now that used Super Multi
Coated Takumar 3.5 35mm is a fine lens, but for the same money, you can get
a brand new Supergon 4.0 35mm, under full warranty.  We've sold thousands,
and our customers report that it's tack sharp, yadda, yadda, yadda..."

It's not an illegal practice, AFAIK, unless, they never did have the Tak
35mm in the first place, but only advertised it to get calls so they can
flog the Supergon.  It does happen...

regards,
frank

Cotty wrote:

> >bait and switch
>
> I've got a good idea, but can someone please spell this out for me. What
> does it mean? Advertise one product and then try and sell you another?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cotty

"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist
fears it is true." -J. Robert
Oppenheimer