I agree with everyone that it is a very nice photo just in itself.

> On Nov 28, 2021, at 3:03 PM, Rick Womer <rickpic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It’s a nice shot! Noise wasn’t apparent until I zoomed in to 4x.

I didn’t pixel peep, but it’s showing up on my screen at about 10x13 and when I
was shooting film I would have been thrilled to get a print that size that was
that clean shooting my normal ISO 32-125.   (Pan F, Pan X, Plus X).  The
performance of modern sensors boggles my mind.

> Out of curiosity I compared your shot with a few ISO 12800 shots taken with
> my K-5. It looks as though the K-3iii offers about a 1-2 stop improvement in
> noise.

I would guess the K-3iii to be 2-3 stops improvement, but you can only really
compare cameras shooting the same scene in the same conditions with the same
processing.

I forget what your previous camera body was.  K-10?  But compared to anything
older than the K-x the performance difference will be mindbending.

I have found that in situations like this it is a good learning experience (in
regards to the camera) to shoot the scene and bracket the ISO.  With ISO
invariance if you nominally underexpose it a few stops by using a lower ISO,
you don’t blow out as many highlights, but when you process the raw files the
shadows aren’t much, if any, noisier.   I do this a lot when shooting
astrolandscapes, and each camera is different.

This is the aspect of modern photography that excites my inner nerd, finding
and pushing the performance limits.  I expect that with experimentation you may
find that you’ll be able to handhold down at, or slower than 1/10 second,
though may need to try a few frames to get a sharp one.  Using a monopod, even
back before my K-5 I found I could consistently get sharp at 1/10 to maybe 1/2
or 1 second.   Since what I was photographing was people dancing, that was
usually too slow to be useful.

--
Larry Colen
l...@red4est.com