On Dec 28, 2021, at 5:53 AM, Rick Womer <rickpic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don’t think I’ve seen a cluster of mushroom growing out of a tree trunk
> such as those in the first pic. Is the tree alive or dead?

I'm not sure whether the tree was still alive. Seeing mushrooms like that on a
trunk was a surprise to me as well. There were several clusters at different
heights. The one I photographed was at about my head height.

I've seen very small mushrooms growing from crevices of tree trunks before but
nothing this big.  We have some impressive bracket fungi on our property, one
on an old stump and another on a living tree, which is probably going to have
to be cut down as a result as it'll be weakening the wood.

Cheers,
Dave