gfen wrote:

> I haven't figured out the best way to hand them files, though, I know it
> prints at 300dpi, but I don't knwo if I should give them 300dpi .tifs, or
> 1200dpi .tifs (1200 is the highest my crappy flatbed gives me, it also
> gives me massive amounts of what I can only assume are newton rings, and
> it hurts me to see them)

Newton rings are the bane of scanning on a glass plate.  I've had slides
scanned that way and the resulting files were unusable.

When you send your images to the lab, scan the film at whatever
resolution you like, but just make sure of the following:
a) There is enough information in the scanned image to get a good print
b) The file itself is sized to 300ppi before you send it out.  You set
this number in your editing software (its part of the "image size" dialog
in Photoshop).

I've found that a 1200ppi scan of a 35mm neg will get you a reasonably
good 6x4" minilab print if you're careful.  If you want anything bigger
you'll start wishing for more scanner resolution :)

(yes, there is a subtle difference between ppi and dpi... dots are not
always the same as pixels; eg inkjet printers)

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/