Info about subscribing or unsubscribing from this list is at the bottom of this
message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://snipurl.com/180ec

  Read It and Weep
  By Art Buchwald
  The Washington Post

  Thursday 06 November 2003

  It's one thing to burn school library books; it's another not to have
any books to burn.

  I visited a public school in Northwest Washington. Some friends were
holding a benefit to raise money for a library that had no books, desks,
chairs or computers.

  The District of Columbia is a victim of tax cuts, and libraries are
being closed or shortchanged. It turns out the Bush administration and
Congress are not as interested in libraries as one might think.

  The question is, "Do we need books in America to educate our children?"

  It's the old guns vs. butter story -- or butter vs. guns.

  The military-industrial complex (aka the Pentagon) says it needs many
more billions of dollars than it thought, not only to fight a war but
also to keep the peace. It argues that the money could better be used
not just for today's weapons but also for ones that have not yet been
developed.

  The choices for the military are easy: an aircraft carrier or Mark
Twain, a Black Hawk helicopter or Shakespeare.

  The military-industrial complex has its priorities, and the public
believes everything the MIC tells them. You may wonder who makes these
decisions. They are men and women who look just like you and me. They
must choose wisely and economically, and if they make a
several-billion-dollar mistake, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld
says, "nobody's perfect."

  The MIC has thousands of lobbyists in Washington to make sure America
has all the guns it needs. This is not to say those in the Defense
Department are against education -- it's just not something they do.

  A library doesn't kill anybody. School officials are not against
producing cruise missiles -- it's just not something they do.

  The educators say: "The reason Johnny can't read is that he has no
books. It is not only education that is getting shortchanged. So are
health, Social Security and the environment -- and anything else that
has to do with butter."

  Of course, no one is to blame. That, lobbyists tell you, is the way the
cookie crumbles.

  President Bush is not against butter, but with his tax cut he claims
that whatever butter he gives us is enough. He hopes his tax cut will
jump-start the economy. He says the only way to do it is to shortchange
the states and cities that are now even running out of margarine.

  With the tax cut, he maintains he can provide guns and butter and
rebuild Iraq at the same time. And so the controversy continues
unabated.

  How many guns for Iraq and how much butter for our schoolchildren?

  I left the school wondering why Johnny can't read. Was it the fault of
government? I couldn't answer the question, but I discovered that maybe
the administration and Congress can't read, either. And that scares the
hell out me.
web address to view the list's archives or to unsubscribe.

E-mail accounts that become full, inactive or out of order for more than a few
days will become disabled or deleted from this list.

FAIR USE NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
information in this e-mail is distributed without profit to those who have
expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational
purposes.  I am making such material available in an effort to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy,
scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair
use' of copyrighted material as provided for in the US Copyright Law.