Info about subscribing or unsubscribing from this list is at the bottom of this
message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WORLD POLICY INSTITUTE

Contact: William D. Hartung, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Frida Berrigan, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
212-229-5808, x4257, x4254

Looking Forward: A Model State of the Union Address for January, 2009
By William D. Hartung
January 22, 2007

The 2008 presidential race is already well under way, with candidates
beginning to clarify their positions on Iraq, climate change, and other
key issues. In advance of President Bush’s State of the Union address
tomorrow night, it would be interesting to look ahead at what a new
president might address in his or her first State of the Union address in
January 2009. Below is an optimistic model of one such address, which
assumes that the United States has fully or partially withdrawn from Iraq,
creating room to discuss other pressing foreign policy issues.

My Fellow Americans,

The State of the Union is strong. And working together with partners
around the world, we can use our strength to make the world an even better
place for our children and grandchildren.

Our fundamental principle in working towards a safer, better world must be
the concept that every human life is precious, from America to Iraq, from
China to North Korea, from Chile to Colombia, or from the Sudan to South
Africa.  We must protect humanity from all of the threats we face --
whether from terrorism, or nuclear weapons, or environmental destruction,
or outbreaks of disease, or entrenched poverty.

Not only must we preserve life in all corners of our interconnected world,
we must make it worth living.  Every person on this earth should have the
opportunity to reach their full potential, to unleash the intelligence and
creativity that makes each of us unique.

And we can only reach our full potential by working together to foster
cooperation rather than confrontation; unity rather than division; and
hope rather than fear.

In moving forward on this ambitious but essential agenda, we have much to
learn from our experiences of recent years. Perhaps the most important
lesson of all is the  recognition of the basic generosity of the American
people. From aid to tsunami victims in Asia to help for those displaced
and devastated by a hurricane on our own Gulf Coast, Americans from all
walks of life have given of their time, their energy, and their money to
respond to these immense human tragedies. Now, we need a government as
decent and generous as its people.

We also need to recognize that we are most effective when we work together
with other nations to solve the complex problems that we face.

We ignore this lesson at our peril. In Iraq, we have seen the danger of
plunging forward without heeding the advice of our friends and allies.
After expending hundreds of billions of dollars and thousands of lives, we
are no closer to a solution now than we were at the outset of the war. We
would be far better off today if we had done more listening, and engaged
in less arm-twisting, in crafting a solution to the threats posed by the
regime of Saddam Hussein.

By contrast, when we have contributed to global efforts to deal with
threats like the HIV-AIDS crisis, we have made progress.  We have far to
go, but the common understanding of the scope of the problem and the need
to solve it on a global basis has had a genuine, positive impact on the
lives of millions.

Just as our communities work better when people are encouraged to
participate in community organizations from the PTA to little league to
kids’ soccer, so will the world work better when more nations feel
empowered to participate when decisions are being made on how to address
global threats like climate change or childhood disease.
I have spoken thus far about the values that should inform our foreign
policy and the goals we should try to reach by applying those values to
our real world problems. Now I’d like to talk a bit about how we go about
this by developing policies that are both pragmatic and principled.

One basic underlying theme for all of our policies must be the idea that
in addressing complex problems, we need to use all of the tools of
statecraft, from military force, to diplomacy, to economic cooperation, to
intelligence and information sharing, to public education.  To make an
analogy to the human body, we need to use all of our muscles, not just one
set. We need to be both strong and agile, fast and flexible, able to
address the threats of the moment while anticipating those yet to come.

In the 2004 election campaign, both Al Gore and George W. Bush identified
the greatest threat we face as the prospect of a terrorist group getting
hold of nuclear weapons. Unfortunately, in recent years our ideas of how
to address this frightening problem have leaned too much on saber-rattling
and military force, and not enough on effective diplomacy and genuine
cooperation. This is true despite the fact that in the modern era, no
nation has given up its quest for nuclear weapons as a result of military
force being used against it.

On the other hand, diplomacy has a track record of success. Since the end
of the Cold War, more countries have given up nuclear weapons and nuclear
weapons programs than have started them: Brazil, Argentina, Belarus,
Ukraine, Kazakhstan, South Africa, and Libya. In each case, it was
diplomacy, not military threats, that got the job done. At the same time,
the United States and Russia are in the midst of cutting their deployed
nuclear weapons by two-thirds. Thousands of "loose nukes" and tons of
bomb-making materials have been secured or destroyed in the former Soviet
Union. And none of the major nuclear powers -- not the United States, not
Russia, not China, not France, and not the United Kingdom -- have tested a
nuclear weapon for over a decade.

This is not to suggest that we have solved the nuclear dilemma; far from
it. The emergence of India, Pakistan and North Korea as nuclear-armed
nations shows that in key parts of the world, our diplomacy has failed, at
least in the short-term. And it remains to be seen whether the conflict
over Iran’s nuclear aspirations will be solved peacefully and effectively.
 But this is all the more reason to address these complicated problems in
a multi-faceted way. Countries need positive incentives to change, not
just threats of what might happen if they don’t. Diplomacy may need to
proceed on many tracks -- on a regional and international basis; on a
one-on-one basis between nations that view each other as threats; and
through citizen diplomacy, cultural and economic exchanges, and other
methods that go beyond the reach of what governments can do on their own.

This doesn’t mean that there is no role for military power. There are
cases in which diplomacy backed by force can be successful; by contrast,
force without diplomacy is a recipe for disaster.

There are immediate steps that can be taken by the United States,
sometimes alone and sometimes working with allies, to stem the nuclear
threat. In confronting what President Bush has described as "the nexus
between technology and terror," we can start by serving as a role model of
how to radically reduce the nuclear danger.

The best thing we can do to keep nuclear weapons out of the hands of
terrorists is to invest more funds and more energy in the process of
destroying and securing existing nuclear bombs and bomb-making materials
against being spread as a result of theft, corruption, ideology, or
incompetence.

We already have a program that has been highly effective at meeting this
objective. Started with the leadership of Republican Senator Richard Lugar
of Indiana and former Democratic Senator Sam Nunn of Georgia, this
bipartisan initiative is known as "cooperative threat reduction." It has
been utilized to destroy thousands of bombers, missiles, and loose nukes,
and thousands of tons of nuclear bomb-making materials in the former
Soviet Union and its successor state, Russia. It has been a result of
cooperation between Washington and Moscow in sharing expertise and funds
to accomplish this essential goal. Our European and Asian allies have also
contributed funds and personnel to this effort. Now we need to accelerate
the pace of this program, and, as Senator Lugar has suggested, apply it on
a global basis to any country whose nuclear materials could be stolen or
bought by terrorists.

If we are going to lead by example, we need to get our own nuclear house
in order. First and foremost, that means abandoning plans to build a new
generation of nuclear weapons. Our goal should be to eliminate nuclear
weapons in the next generation, not "improve" them. No government,
dictatorship or democracy, team player or reckless isolationist, is
responsible enough to possess these "weapons of mass murder," as former
President Bush has called them.  We need to eliminate nuclear weapons
before they eliminate us, by design or by accident. It is well within the
power of the international community to do this, if key governments --
backed by strong public advocacy -- make it a priority.

Perhaps the other most urgent threat to humanity is climate change, also
referred to as global warming. Even what might seem to the lay person as
relatively small increases in average global temperatures can wreak havoc
with life as we know it, by melting the polar ice caps, flooding coastal
areas, fostering growth of new diseases, undermining agriculture, and
striking at the basic building blocks needed to support human life.

As with the case of the nuclear threat, there are clear steps that can be
taken to address this issue, if we devote the time, energy and attention
that the problem deserves. More fuel efficient vehicles; clean energy
sources; energy efficient homes and workplaces; government-supported
investments designed to create greater markets for recycled materials; and
tapping the same creativity and technical prowess that put a man on the
moon.  These are just some of the ways we can address this problem. But it
won’t mean anything if we do it alone. We must enlist India and China,
Russia and Brazil, Japan and South Korea, Nigeria and South Africa and
every other major and minor energy-using nation in this effort. And far
from being a drag on our economy, the steps we need to take to stop
climate change and keep the world livable for our kids and grandkids can
spawn whole new industries built on the concept of keeping harmful gases
from despoiling our atmosphere.

As a start in the right direction, I pledge tonight to double the
government’s commitment to fighting global climate change tenfold, from $5
billion per year now to ten billion dollars four years from now. And we
should continue to increase that investment as needed in the years to
come. If we can spend hundreds of billions on military security, we can
afford to do what it takes to ensure climate security. We have no choice
but to act; the only question is whether we will do so effectively, in
cooperation with other nations, or ineffectively by going off on our own
path, disconnected from the needs and aspirations of the rest of the
world.

You are the key to making all of this happen. Every major change in our
nation -- from  abolishing slavery, to establishing a woman’s right to
vote, to defeating fascism in World War II, to promoting civil rights and
environmental protection -- all of these massive changes for the better
have begun with citizen action, not government policies. Whether it
involves recycling at home, pressing your schools and workplaces to
implement better environmental practices, or sponsoring a speaker at your
community organization or place of worship to talk about how best to
reduce and eliminate the nuclear danger, you are the leaders. A president
can raise issues, but only what President Eisenhower described as an
"engaged citizenry" can resolve them.

I look forward to working with you to make our country and our world a
better place, a world in which cooperation is the norm, not the exception.
Even if we fall short of some of our most ambitious goals, we will be
better people, a better nation, and a better world for trying. Together we
can do this, for ourselves and the generations to come.

William D. Hartung is a Senior Research Fellow at the World Policy
Institute at the New School in New York City. This speech was developed in
cooperation with the U.S. in the World Project at the New America
Foundation.
web address to view the list's archives or to unsubscribe.

E-mail accounts that become full, inactive or out of order for more than a few
days will become disabled or deleted from this list.

FAIR USE NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the
information in this e-mail is distributed without profit to those who have
expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and educational
purposes.  I am making such material available in an effort to advance
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy,
scientific, and social justice issues, etc. I believe this constitutes a 'fair
use' of copyrighted material as provided for in the US Copyright Law.