you may want to search these archives, this sounds a bit familiar

the .bpl file definitely rings a bell

are you using Service pack 6 ?  SP6

maybe you reinstalled and did not run the service pack ?
the first error message i think relates to a file format change
somewhere around SP4 or 5

somewhere in these archives you will find a discussion about a 'clean
install' which came from protel
in that they describe deleting certain files the .bpl 's among them

ok found it !
here it is:  NOTE #5 !

********************
Version # Protel 99SE/ Service Pack 6:

PROBLEM:  Is there a specific uninstall procedure for Protel?  I have
uninstalled and reinstalled using add and/remove programs but Protel is
still acting up.

SOLUTION:

1) Un-install Service Pack 6 for 99SE
2) Un-install 99SE
3) Delete the Design Explorer 99 SE directory
(make sure you have no personal files or libraries stored here before you do
this).
4) Delete the files *99SE.* from your Windows or Winnt folder
5) Also delete from the Windows or Winnt folder *.bpl and *.dpl, if they are
still remaining.
6) Re-install Protel 99 SE
a) If Win 9x then Reboot
7) Re-apply Service Pack 6