Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 4:40 PM
Subject: [peirce-l] Peircean prayer, was: Re: one list archive now working

Joe,

Thanks for the update on Gmane.You also wrote:
I don't myself believe in the  power of prayer, unfortunately;
but for those of you who make  up for the deficiencies of sceptics like me,
let me request that you include that search engine in your daily prayers
because we certainly could use a good search engine after these many years
of deprivation!  (And bear in mind, too, that Peirce was himself a Christian
of sorts, as you doubtless know, so your prayers will not be wasted on
benefiting heathens like me in ways we do not deserve!)
But Peirce was not an orthodox and certainly not a "naive" Christian so that the efficacy of prayer--if it were considered at all- would certainly not be anything like the quasi-magical power you are pointing to, but rather would tend toward the real influence of ideas, the influence, for example, of many seeing the truth together, whether it be in some corner of science or some corner of Manhattan when, as Peirce once related, a convention of young Christian people hit the town and transformed the City in some (to him)  palpably sweet and uplifting way for a weekend (the truth is it's mainly been the Jewish influence on New York which has uplifted this town, for just a few examples: the great Jewish philanthropic and social agencies created here, a vast number of artistic and cultural and intellectual enterprises of all sorts---from NYU to the New York Times--originating here, etc., etc. and which have decidedly answered many of  the  prayers for generations of New Yorkers). I think Peirce might have conceived of prayer (if he concerned himself much with it at all, & I am not aware of his discussing the matter) in this sort of way: as the power of  symbols, say, Truth and Justice, to  influence & effect our lives (even as we confront lies and injustice).

But my main point now is that it is possible to be a Christian and not subscribe to  the dogmas & naivetes of certain forms of Christianity. Church history, it's true as many have noted, suggests a tendency for much institutional religion and many theological interpretations to exclude (and worse, persecute, etc)as Peirce also pointed out, And  not all would agree with me that one can even be a Christian in this "looser sense" of not doctrinally conforming (perhaps your "Christian of sorts"?) For example, in at least one of his letters to Kenneth Ketner (their correspondence collected as A Thief of Peirce) Percy comments that Peirce was not really a Christian in the sense that some Roman Catholics might say one must accept  certain doctrines in order to be one at all.  I don't agree with Percy, of course (and there are certainly  Catholics who would join me in what I'm arguing here), while it does appear that Peirce was certainly not a dogmatic Christian, as I am not, and as indeed any number of professed Christians are not. We would rather not have the naive fundamentalist wing stand for the Christianity of some of the others of us. I think it's always been possible to be a "different kind" of (non-conformist) Christian, as in another era  Meister Eckhart seems to have been in his very different way. Finally, one may even recite, as Peirce did,  the Apostle's Creed with others in church on Sunday, yet conceive of the universe perhaps more along the lines suggested by this extraordinary analysis of Edwina Taborsky
http://www.digitalpeirce.fee.unicamp.br/taborsky/p-enetab.htm
than along the lines of Genesis (btw, I know nothing at all about ET's religious views or lack thereof; I just happen to be reading her paper)  But this standing shoulder to shoulder with others confessing a belief in a synechastic & agapastic Power is not hypocrisy since those ancient symbols are now  interpreted differently, that is, semeiotically and evolutionarily, but with no less a sense of the agapastic tendency of the cosmos, and of our important role in furthering that (were we ever together to begin  to realize our human vocation adequately and again--or, rather, finally--see our world as, yes, an intelligible but also a sacred place). This kind of evolutionary religion is probably only now even really possible, or rather, it is my hope that these agapastic tendencies are real and, so, can be realized.. Not that the quietistic Eastern religions don't have much to offer us aesthetically & meditationally, nor that the tribal ones might not yet help bring us into much deeper contact with nature (Eugene Halton's point: "To walk in beauty"), but so far Christianity is the only religion with evolutionary and agapastic potential (this is in brief my argument contra Bertrand Russell's "Why I Am Not a Christian, I suppose :-) and why I am, and why I believe Peirce was a Christian.and not a heathen (I take this to mean, someone without a prayer :-)

Joe, I know you spoke jocularly and I've made much too much of this. Also, I think you know how I detest discussing religious issues (and only do so when provoked :-), so if you care to respond to these ramblings, I'll leave you with the last word.

Gary

Joseph Ransdell wrote:
Auke and list:

Yes, the Gmane Archive in particular seems to be what is wanted, though
there are still a couple of things to be determined about it before I am
willing to conclude to that.  I'll say what those are in a moment but let me
explain first what I see as a possible advantage in it in addition to its
usefulness as a searchable archive, namely, its possible use as the primary
interface for the list for those who want to use it that way, because one
can post to the list from the Gmane interface, both in replying and when
starting up a new thread, so that it can take the place of the lyris email
interface without the latter being simply abandoned.   This can be done in
either of two ways:  (1) one way would be to have a browser bookmark or
"favorites" link (URL button) on one's computer desktop that, when clicked,
takes you directly to the Gmane Archive, where the latest message is waiting
with the recent ones available as listed in threaded form in the panel above
it.  (2) The other way, would be to bring it up as a newsgroup folder that
appears on the same folder panel as one's email messages folders appear.
When you open it up you then get the same sort of two-panel above-and-below
layout as if you go to Gmane.

I think, though, that using a button link to go directly to Gmane in your
browser instead of pulling it up as a newsgroup mail item is probably
preferable, but I am not yet certain about that.  One always has to use
these things for a while in order to understand what is truly convenient.
But I like the convenience of the drop-down panel of options that appears on
the upper right of the upper panel with the threads on it.

Let me make this completely explicit to avoid confusing those not yet
acquainted with it:  Click on the following URL (and make a browser bookmark
for your desktop when it takes you to your destination):

         http://news.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce

This takes you to the The Gmane Archive where you will find the screen split
into two panels, above and below.  In the panel below there is the latest
posted message.  In the panel above there is the list of messages previously
posted in threaded form.  You can click on any of those lines and  a new
window will be opened with that message in it.  Back to what you find at
first, though, you can change the threaded representation of the past
messages into a list organized by date only, with the most recent one listed
at the top of the list.

Now, most of the options available to you are to be found listed in a
dropdown panel located on the upper panel, which is labeled

        "--action--".

 It should have been labeled simply as "options", in my opinion, but,
anyway, click that and you get a list of possible things to do:  if you want
to reply to the message which is presently appearing in the bottom panel,
which is the most recent message posted, you click on

        "Followup"

They should have labeled that as "reply"! -- but, okay, clicking that will
then give you a window suitable for composing a reply.   If, on the other
hand, you want to start a new thread, click instead on the option labeled

          "Post".

That will give you a window suitable for posting a message for a new thread
instead.

There are other options as well.  I suggest trying each of them out in turn
to see what they get you.  One of things you will find is that there are
still other interfaces available!  To avoid confusion I won't go into them
here other than to say that although some of these alternative interfaces
are more attractive than the basic interface I am presently describing, they
do not provide a panel with a threaded or chronological list of messages on
it.   Hence they are not as useful.  But you can decide for yourself whether
to work with one of them instead.

Finally, if you look at the bottom of the lower panel you will find several
more options, the most important of which is a search window for typing in a
string for a Boolean search of the archive.  I leave it to you to use that.

One caveat, though:  the search panel works only for messages that have been
indexed, and they are not indexed immediately.  Apparently, the practice is
to re-index the entire archive once a day or so, which is apparently
necessary in order to get the latest messages integrated with the rest in  a
common indexing scheme.  It seems to me there should be an easier way, but
what do I know?  Anyway, that means that you might have to wait for a day or
so to insure that the latest messages are going to be called up in the
search.  Now, the truth is that I don't know how well the search engine
actually works since the latest messages haven't been indexed yet, unless
that engine has cranked up since the last time I tried it.  But, assuming it
really is a good index engine, this is not too much of an inconvenience
since you usually know what the most recent messages relevant to  your
search topic is anyway.  It  is  pulling up the older ones that is the most
important.   I don't myself believe in the  power of prayer, unfortunately;
but for those of you who make  up for the deficiencies of sceptics like me,
let me request that you include that search engine in your daily prayers
because we certainly could use a good search engine after these many years
of deprivation!  (And bear in mind, too, that Peirce was himself a Christian
of sorts, as you doubtless know, so your prayers will not be wasted on
benefiting heathens like me in ways we do not deserve!)

Joe Ransdell